Let a Well-Experienced Brain Injury Attorney Represent Your Case
Guide From A Brain Injury Lawyer in Goodlettsville TN
A traumatic injury to the brain (TBI for short) is a type of brain injury that is caused by a sudden blow or a penetration to the head. Normal brain function is affected by this type of injury.
What are the two types of TBI?
The two types of TBI are open head injuries and closed head injuries. An open head injury is caused by the penetration of an object into the brain, while a closed head injury is one that is caused by a blow to the head.
How common is it?
This type of injury is surprisingly very common. According to reports, at least 1.7 million sustain traumatic brain injuries every year in the United States. Of the 1.7 million people, more than 50,000 die which is 31% of deaths due to injury in the United States. These figures explain the increase of demand for a brain injury attorney.
What are the leading causes of Brain Injuries?
Below are the leading causes of TBI:
- Falls – In the United States, about 40% of all brain injuries are caused by falls. Falling in the bathroom, falling out of bed, and falling from stairs or ladders are some of the most common falling accidents that cause TBI.
Related topic: Liabilities For A Slip and Fall Injury
- Blunt trauma – Being hit or struck on the head by an object either intentionally or unintentionally is also a common cause of serious brain injuries. Violent crimes such as child abuse, domestic violence, assaults, and gun-related crimes can also cause such injuries to the brain. Hiring a brain injury lawyer in Goodlettsville can also be done by patients who suffer from TBI because of crimes.
- Vehicular accidents – Accidents that involve vehicles such as cars, bikes, motorcycles, trucks, and buses are the common vehicular accidents that cause serious head injuries. A brain injury lawyer can be hired if any of these vehicular accidents result in trauma to the brain.
Related topics: Types Of Auto Accident Cases, Common Reasons For Bus Accidents
- Sports-related injuries – Sport activities such as boxing, wrestling, mixed martial arts, basketball, soccer, football, baseball, hockey, and extreme sports such as skateboarding and stunt biking are also common causes of brain trauma.
Related topic: Sports Injury Lawyer
- Combat injuries– Active soldiers involved in gun battles and explosions sometimes sustain injuries to the brain.
What are the risk factors in sustaining a traumatic injury to the brain?
The people most at risk of TBI are:
- Children (especially 0 to 4 year old children)
- Young adults (especially 15 to 19 year old teens)
- Adults (especially 65 year old and above seniors)
- Males are 1.5 times more likely to sustain a serious head injury because of the more physical and dangerous activities they engage in.
What are the symptoms of mild brain traumatic injury?
TBI can be classified as mild head injury if the loss of consciousness, confusion, and disorientation is half an hour or shorter. The symptoms of mild TBI include anxiety, confusion, fatigue, depression, dizziness, headaches, insomnia, irritability, loss of memory, moodiness, nausea, sensory dysfunction, and seizures. These symptoms might be present immediately after the injury or delayed for a few hours, days, or even weeks.
What are the symptoms of moderate to severe TBI?
A brain injury can be classified as moderate if the loss of consciousness, confusion, and disorientation is half an hour to 6 hours long and a 9-12 Glasgow Coma Scale score.
It can also be classified as moderate if the loss of consciousness, confusion, and disorientation is 6 hours or longer and a 3-8 Glasgow Coma Scale score.
Difficulties in cognition, perception, and senses are some of the symptoms of moderate to severe traumatic injuries to the brain. Other symptoms of moderate to severe brain injury are aggression, depression, insomnia, irritability, paralysis, pain, and the loss of bowel and bladder control
When do you need to hire a brain injury lawyer in Goodlettsville?
People who sustain traumatic brain injuries who can qualify to hire a lawyer specializing in brain injuries are those who acquired the injury because of the negligence or wrongful conduct of another person, a group of people, or a company.
If you or a loved one has suffered a brain injury as the result of another party’s negligence, an attorney knowledgeable in this area of law, can assist you in recovering compensation for the injury, suffering, medical and hospital care, current and future wage loss and the cost of future care and rehabilitation.
Here at the Law Office of Tim Bowden, our area of practice is focused on automobile accidents. An auto accident is one of the leading causes of traumatic injuries to the brain. Tim Bowden, an injury lawyer, has worked on many brain injury cases and is ready to provide assistance to those who sustained traumatic injuries to the brain as a result of another party’s negligence or wrongful conduct. Our attorney will guide you throughout the whole process and will help you get the justice you deserve either through settlements, lawsuits, or payment for your treatment.